The Best Basic Industries Companies in 2022
Basic industries provide other industries with the raw materials to produce or manufacture goods. Basic industries handle the discovery, development, and retail trade of raw materials such as iron, wood, paper, and non-metallic minerals. It is one of the largest industry sectors in the United States.
As 2022 draws closer, the basic industries field may be a viable sector for job seekers because it is filled with job opportunities and companies that pay well. But before you delve into applications and pin down your career path, you need to know more about the best basic industries companies in 2022. Keep reading for our list of the top ten of these companies.
Types of Basic Industries Companies
Before you select a career path, you must understand the different types of basic industry companies. Knowing the difference helps you pursue the right learning path and get the skills fit for the industry. Below are three types of basic industries companies.
Food is a necessity in every household, making these types of companies one of the key industries of the 21st century. Agricultural basic industries provide raw materials to restaurants such as rice, fruits, vegetables, and coffee. These companies also ship the raw materials to other companies to manufacture refined food products.
These companies work with large-scale and small-scale farmers nationwide to find the best food raw materials. Alternatively, agricultural companies can produce their raw materials by buying land and engaging in large-scale farming. You can work as a farmer, food scientist, agronomist, plant or animal scientist, agricultural engineer, or horticulturist.
Mining is also a lucrative sector because most, if not all, of the raw materials needed in the construction, fashion, auto, and health industries are derived from the ground. These companies explore various locations, analyze the profit potentials, design the mine site, and prepare the ground. They then extract the raw materials and perform reclamation to maintain the land.
These pre- and post-mining processes provide a wide range of job opportunities. You can work as a geoscientist, geological engineer, mining electrician, heavy equipment operator, or chemist. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects a four percent rise in the job growth rate for mining careers between 2020 and 2030.
Wood and Pulp Companies
Wood and pulp companies harvest trees and other forestry products and put them through an advanced manufacturing process to produce refined raw materials. The raw material is then used in construction or to manufacture furniture.
Despite the introduction of tech gadgets and software, the paper industry is still thriving and heavily reliant on raw materials like wood and pulp. Companies use the raw materials to produce paper, tissue, books, packaging materials, and some hygiene products. You can start a career as a logger, researcher, paper mill operator, or salesperson.
There are other types of basic industry companies as well. These include companies that manufacture steel, chemical companies, textile production companies, and utility providers. These companies provide high-quality raw materials for various companies in the major industry sector, facilitating the manufacturing of complete and refined products.
How to Get a Job in the Basic Industries Field
Getting a job in any industry is a challenging process that requires preparation and an understanding of the field. You must also pursue the right education and learn skills relevant to the position. Let’s look deeper with a step-by-step guide on getting a job in the basic industries field.
- Decide which type of basic industry you’re interested in. There are different types of basic industry companies. You need to research these sectors, understand each company, and select one that suits your interests. You can work in agriculture, mining, metal production, oil, or textiles.
- Get the right education. Once you choose a sector that aligns with your career path, you can pursue an education online or in person. Popular careers include horticulturalists, engineers, agronomists, health care industry workers, steel fabricators, and heavy machinery operators. Some jobs only require entry-level qualifications.
- Network. Networking helps you create beneficial relationships and meet people who work in the same industry. Attend seminars, workshops, and events that are centered on basic industries. You can learn to network through work profiles like LinkedIn and GitHub, which can help you meet like-minded people.
- Specialize your resume. Your resume is an important part of your success in any job interview. Therefore, write a stellar resume and revise it to match each job application. Do your research and make sure you include skills specific to your chosen industry. Don’t use the same resume or cover letter for all your applications.
- Work on your confidence. If you want to succeed in the basic industries field, confidence is an important asset. Prepare for your interviews so you can answer questions confidently to prove that you are ready for the job. In addition, make sure you understand everything that your potential role entails and how the company operates.
The Best Companies in the Basic Industries Field to Work for in 2022
2022 is less than a month away, and professionals usually decide the trajectory of their careers as the year draws to a close. However, if you want to change your career path or find a new job in the basic industries field, you need to know about some companies in these sectors. Below is a list of the 10 best companies under the basic industries umbrella.
- Annual Revenue: $134 billion
- Number of Employees: 155,000
- Headquarters: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Cargill is a contributor to the agriculture industry, which is the largest industry sector. The organization has established its presence in over 70 countries and employs over 150,000 workers. Its operations include animal nutrition, food ingredients, bio-industrial solutions, and a successful agricultural supply chain.
Cargill employees are spread across various business industries, including finance, nutrition, sales and marketing, engineering, management, and operations. You can check out the company’s website for a detailed description of all the job opportunities posted regularly.
Why Is Cargill a Good Place to Work?
Cargill provides numerous job opportunities and is a world-renowned organization, which guarantees job security. It also has subsidiaries like Cargill Cotton and Cargill Cocoa and Chocolate, where more jobs are available. Reviewers on Glassdoor gave the company a and commended the company’s benefits, work environment, and performance.
- Annual Revenue:$159 billion
- Number of Employees: 47,740
- Headquarters: San Ramon, California
Chevron Corporation is a leader in the energy industry. The organization focuses on the manufacturing and transportation of oil to meet the world’s growing energy demands. Chevron produces over one million barrels of oil per day, making it a leading contributor to the nation’s energy sector.
This is a copy of the article I posted here.